Summer

04 May 2009

THE WHISPERING ROOM - Amanda Stevens


I can't get over how fast I read this book! When I hear the term 'page-turner' I tend to scoff for the most part. Not many books do that for me, but this one fits the term to a honkin' big T! If I could have just stayed in one place and only read, I'd have finished it in a few hours. It was my bedside book, so I had to sleep or get up and function for the day and had to set it aside for the three nights/mornings it took.
I almost didn't let it stay my bedside book as the beginning is hyper-spooky, but I put on my brave big girl panties and stuck with it and glad I did since I get more reading time in my bedside books.
Evangeline Theroux is a detective with New Orleans Police Department. She is a widow after the death of her husband in the line of duty, a single mother to the baby who won't know his daddy. Evie is very good at her job and uses the high profile murder case she catches as a lifeline to haul herself out of the abyss.
Just as she starts to get an angle on the case, she yanked from it by the FBI, told that the line she is following will lead to disaster if she continues. She gets assistance from a reclusive writer with her own take on the murders. She says it's the work of a lunatic with her own agenda and Evangeline finds herself drawn in even after being removed from the case. It's become personal.
The characters are written so well that I could see them in my mind's eye and some of them scared the bejeezus out of me.
This is Amanda Steven's best of the three books I've read by her and I really was superbly enthralled with THE DOLLMAKER and THE DEVIL'S FOOTSTEPS.
Five spooky thriller New Orleans good beans.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds intriguing!

Vickie said...

Kay: It is!