Summer

30 April 2009

LIE DOWN WITH THE DEVIL - Linda Barnes, narr C J Critt

It's been way too long since I've read or listened to a book from the Carlotta Carlyle series and I don't know why it's taken me so long to get back. The last one I read was THE BIG DIG and I wasn't overly enamoured of it, so that might be the reason for hesitancy. No matter, I read great reviews for this one and it went on my RecordedBooks wishlist. I am glad that I did, I was not disappointed. A little startled halfway through when Carlotta stopped telling the story and Mooney picks up when Carlotta goes to ground after being accused of a hit and run murder. To the best of my recollection, the books have always been told through Carlotta's voice and it took me a little (creature of habit that I am) to catch up and like the new eyeballs. Just after I got really comfy with Mooney, Carlotta took up the viewpoint again.
Carlotta is hired by a woman to follow the woman's fiance on a Friday night. She has suspicions that he might be unfaithful and wants to make sure before going ahead with the wedding. As in all good mysteries, all is not as it seems on the surface. Carlotta's client is found dead, a victim of a hit&run. Carlotta is a prime suspect after more and more coincidences start to surface.
To say more would be to reveal some spoilers of this honkin' fab story. It's my favorite of the twelve so far in the series. The narrator, CJ Critt, is the perfect gritty voice of Carlotta. I can't think of anyone else who would fit the bill.
Four Boston beans.......

No comments: