Summer

08 August 2007

Tuesday was a FAB Day-Karin Slaughter is Groovy!

It started with a good night's sleep, which I wasn't counting on. The night before, I'd had a repeat bout of fist sized knot action in my upper abdomen like I'd had up in Steamboat a couple of weeks ago. Woke at 3am and could not get comfy. Anyway, Monday was fun enough for Chickie Day with Lady K and I seeing 'Underdog' and hitting a plant sale at our favorite nursery. I fixed dinner early that night and ate less than normal. I think it all helped, if only for a re-start on my weight loss journey.
Anyway, Tuesday....woke early to the little tap-tap-tapping of Lady K's little fingers on my shoulder. She crawled up in bed with me and we both dozed off again. We had a nice morning between waking and drop-off at school. I cleaned floors and dusted (bleck) and got myself tidied up for a trip to Boulder and my favorite mystery bookstore, High Crimes. Karin Slaughter was there to talk and sign her newest book Beyond Reach. She is someone I could be friends with. I don't get along well with women as a rule, too many hidden agendas that I can't decode and cattiness as a rule. I am very particular with my women friends. Karin seems easy to be with, intelligent and is very well-spoken. And funny. I dig that part the most.
It was great listening to her describe her writing process, who some of her favorite authors are (who are some of mine, too): Mo Hayder, Denise Mina, Sara Paretsky, Michael Connelly. She laughed when recounting her surprise at seeing how well and appropriate her name was for her books when she actually saw it on the cover the first time. She hadn't realized until then. And that it was a good thing that she hadn't chosen medicine as her profession.
She was super gracious signing books and immediately said yes to a photo op. She asked if I'd like it of her alone or with me. I was thrilled to say the least. She congratulated me on joining Weight Watchers and thought it was pretty neat that her first book was such a hit to several of us on the Booklovers thread.
I did wander around to find more books for Mt Git'r'Read as well as get my signed books that Cynthia has been so great about holding for me.

On the way home, I realized I still had plenty of time before picking up Lady K at school, so stopped by The Book Keeper, my favorite little used bookstore. They have signs in the window asking for volunteers to shelve books for them. You get $12 in books for each hour you work. I earned my books and found that Christine Feehan and Sherrilyn Kenyon are considered romance writers as opposed to horror or mystery. And they are very popular. There are whole shelves just for them in the romance section. Well, huh!

I picked up Lady K at school and she wanted to go to the 'lake park'. She played for a bit and then wanted to go for a walk. She actually ran and I walked as fast as my Born sandals would let me. AND, we went alllll the way around the lake, some 3/4 of a mile. She wants to go again tonight, if I pick her up early enough. I will have to remember to bring my walking shoes from work. I am wearing the same sandals today....

No comments: