Summer

31 August 2009

CHILE DEATH - Susan Wittig Albert


From the back of the book: China Bayles is looking forward to the annual chili cook-off in Pecan Springs. And when the event arrives, she takes along her fiance, giving both of them a nice break from China's visiting (i.e. meddling ) mother. But then cook-off judge Jerry Jeff Cody dies of allergic reaction --to a peanut. Everyone knows peanuts don't belong in a bowl of Texas chili...and China knows something suspicious is afoot. Now, with rumors flying about foul play--and whispered stories about Jerry Jeff's womanizing ways--things are heating up all over.....
***************
Just when I think I've read my favorite China Bayles mystery, I read one more that is just about perfect to take its place...INDIGO DYING is going to be my favorite for a little while longer, but this one is a very close second. I always learn a ton of fab info from this series and this one was all about chiles in all forms, hot icing on the mystery that keeps the reader guessing throughout. China admits her foibles and her strengths. I like how human she is. I love the relationship between China and McQuaid, it's like a real couple with arguments and love and friendship.
Ruby is my favorite character, still. She is who I want to be when I grow up....she's colorful, smart, and funny.
Five smokin' hot beans.....

4 comments:

SuziQoregon said...

Yay!! I love China Bayles and this is the next one for me to read in this series ;-)

Vickie said...

SuziQ: I love China Bayles, too. If I read books in a series back to back, I'd read this one like that. I love all that I learn from them and they are always such good mysteries!

Sherri said...

Vickie, thanks for the review! I was wondering how this book was and now I know. Another one to add to my Wish List!

Vickie said...

Sherri: I love love love this series! You won't regret reading this one. Glad I could help.