Summer

21 August 2009

GRAVE PERIL: Book 3 Dresden Files - Jim Butcher


From the back of the book: Harry Dresden--Wizard. Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting . Advice. Reasonable Rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.
Harry Dresden's face some pretty terrifying foes during his career. Giant scorpions. Oversexed vampires. Psychotic werewolves. It comes with the territory when you're the only professional wizard in the Chicago area phone book.
But in all Harry's years of supernatural sleuthing, he's never faced anything like this. The spirit world has gone postal. All over Chicago, ghosts are causing trouble--and not just of the door-slamming, boo-shouting variety. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone--or some thing -- is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? And why do so many of the victims have ties to Harry? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself....
****************
I have some favorite quotes from the book:
Time to get it. Five white candles surrounded my summoning circle, the points of an invisible pentacle. White for protection. And because they're the cheapest color at Wal-Mart. Hey,being a wizard doesn't make money grow on trees.
I don't remember the spell, or the words I said. But I remember reaching for that pain. I remember reaching for it, and thinking that if we had to go, then so help me God, weakened or not, hopeless or not, I was going to take these murdering, bloodsucking sons of bitches with me.
The above two examples are why I will read everything in this series and hope that Jim Butcher never tires of writing Harry Dresden.
Five kickin' ghost ass in Chicago beans....

4 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Did you see that everyone who entered the drawing on my blog to win a Cobrahead weeder wins one? Please email so I can send you info on how to get yours!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Vickie said...

Carol: I did and that is just so COOL!

Pam said...

My brother in law just old me I MUST read this series. I've also heard nothing but positive reviews from the book blogging peanut gallery. :O)

Vickie said...

Pam: I concur with your BIL. You really MUST read this series. It's superb. My dad, who absolutely does not like paranormal, loves it. It's a detective novel with a paranorml tweak. Just so good!