Summer

22 January 2009

HARM NONE: A Rowan Gant Investigation - M R Sellars

I am so glad BittenByBooks introduced me to this series! I know I have seen the author's name and his character's name on other blogs and in book reviews, so it was familiar. I say I was introduced to it by BittenByBooks since it was she who had the fab discount offer a month or so back and I took her up on it. Went to Willow Tree and ordered all of the M R Sellars books they had in the 'damaged' section of their site. All arrived quickly and great condition. The only 'damage' I have seen yet is this author's signature in the front of this book.



Rowan Gant is a modern day practicing Witch. He and his wife, Felicity, also a Witch, live in St Louis. Rowan is asked to help his friend, Detective Ben Storm, with a case that has magic written all over it. Someone is murdering women in a horrific manner and leaving a pentacle on the wall, painted in the victim's blood.

First and foremost, this is a fantastic thriller. I had to change this from my bedside book to my purse book. The descriptions of the murder scenes were so vividly written, my dreams were affected.

The magic is fairly mild in the beginning. Rowan and Felicity are Witches by religion and they are in touch with the elements of the Earth. The magic element begins to expand throughout the book, but never overtakes the thriller aspect. It blends phenomenally.

I really will need to take a break before reading the next in the series, NEVER BURN A WITCH, but I do look forward to the time I am ready to pick it up and begin.



Five magnificently eerie beans....(bookmark added later date)


5 comments:

Literary Feline said...

A new author to try! Thank you for the review, Vickie. I am not familiar with this series, but I definitely want to give it a try.

Vickie said...

Wendy: You won't regret it!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are enjoying this series. It was really a thrilling ride to read them all. Now I can't wait to see what he comes up with next!

Rachel

Becky LeJeune said...

Haha! I've heard of an author who was approached and chewed out by a chain store employee for signing her books. Told her they were "damaged" and she would have to buy them. At least you got a discount for an autographed book!

Vickie said...

Rachel: Thank you for turning me onto the discount that allowed me to get the whole series. I can't wait to get to the next one (when I'm ready)

Becky: I was startled (and pleased) that the signature was the only 'damage' found. It's so weird that it would be considered such. I think it adds to the value!