Summer

02 March 2009

THE CASE OF THE MISSING BOOKS: A Mobile Library Mystery - Ian Sansom



This one started out slowly, but gradually built up steam. I wasn't sure if I'd like it enough to finish it, let alone look for the rest of the series. I changed my mind about 30 pages in and really enjoyed this fast read. The story moves right along and I really felt for poor Israel, the Londoner librarian who comes to Northern Ireland to be the new librarian in a small village. All is not as he expected...the library is closed, he is to live in a chicken coop, and all of the library's books are missing! It is his first task, he is told, to find the missing books. It's funny and a nice mellow read. Sort of a cozy since it's a mystery with a non-investigator person doing the sleuthing. No murder, but lots of crime. I really liked this one and look forward to the rest of the series.

Four fish out of water beans.....

7 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Ok, I'm going on Amazon to see if I can get this on the Kindle! Sounds good!

Vickie said...

Mary: It is a gentle funny read. I felt so bad for Israel, even though he brought some of his schtuff on himself. I have the next one on my to look for list.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I'll probably love it! I just found it and got the first chapter free from Amazon. I'll read that and go back and buy the book. I LOVE my Kindle : )

Vickie said...

Mary: You should be a spokesperson for the K2! = )

Literary Feline said...

I had fun reading this one a couple of years ago. I found it funny in places, which always helps this type of book. :-) I haven't read further in the series yet though. Maybe one of these days. Thanks for the great review, Vickie!

Vickie said...

Wendy: Thankin' you. I found the book to be the same to me, too. Thank goodness for humor.

NoBS said...

I enjoyed this book alot. Who knew there was such a difference in humor between England and Scotland? Loved it! I didn't really care for the second book though...