Summer

27 August 2011

Guilty Pleasure Flick Saturday - Major League




Oh, how I adore this Guilty Pleasure Flick! Released in 1989 and starring Tom Berenger, Corbin Bernson, Wesley Snipes, a not-yet-bonkers Charlie Sheen, the gorgeous Renee Russo in her first film role, and one of my favorite voices in movies and TV, James Gammon.


**************


From Amazon.com


A baseball comedy and slob comedy rolled into one, this one actually works as entertainment, if not as a piece of cinematic mastery. James Gammon is the has-been manager hired to lead the last-place Cleveland Indians whose owner wants them to lose so she can sell them. But the team of has-beens and never-wases that he assembles (including Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen, Corbin Bernsen, and Wesley Snipes) develops a sense of pride and turns the team around. There's plenty of rowdy humor about sex, race, and whatever else they can make fun of. Look for Rene Russo (in her first film role) as Berenger's romantic interest; Snipes also had his first showy role as Willie Mays Hayes, the team's base-stealing ace. --Marshall Fine


**************


Probably my most favorite scenes in the flick is when Charlie Sheen's character, Ricky 'Wild Thing' Vaughn, steps out of the pitchers' dugout during the pivotal playoff game against a powerhouse team and especially against a player he's had issue with in a past game. He's nervous, yet steps out as confidently as possible and the stadium bellows out the tune 'Wild Thing' The whole stadium goes nuts, stomping, cheering, yelling. It raises the hair on my arm (and the speaker volume on the TV) each and every time...




Favorite lines (thank you IMDB.com):


Harry Doyle: In case you haven't noticed, and judging by the attendance you haven't, the Indians have managed to win a few here and there, and are threatening to climb out of the cellar.
++++++++++++++

Jake Taylor: That's my wife...

Willie Mays Hayes: Does she know that?

Jake Taylor: Well, she would've been if I hadn't screwed it up... who's that guy she's with?

Willie Mays Hayes: I don't know. He's not wearing a nametag.

Rick Vaughn: Want me to drag him outta here, kick the shit out of him?
++++++++++++++++++++



Harry Doyle: That's all we got, one goddamn hit?


Assistant: You can't say goddamn on the air.


Harry Doyle: Don't worry, nobody is listening anyway.


++++++++++++++++++++++++

Willie Mays Hayes: What the hell league you been playing in?


Rick Vaughn: California Penal...


Willie Mays Hayes: Never heard of it. How'd you end up playing there?


Rick Vaughn: Stole a car.


+++++++++++++++++

Harry Doyle: JUST a bit outside.


+++++++++++++++

Lou Brown: [Cerrano arrives at spring training] Who is that?


Charlie Donovan: Must be Cerrano. Defected from Cuba, wanted religious freedom.


Lou Brown: What's his religion?




+++++++++++++++++++++++

Pedro Cerrano: I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You don't help me now. I say "F*&k you," Jobu, I do it myself.

2 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I LOVE this movie :)

"Just a bit outside" :)

Vickie said...

Mary: Me too!