Summer

14 June 2010

A PLACE FOR DELTA - Melissa Walker, Illustrated by Richard Walker

From the inside flaps of the book: Joseph felt safe with Chipic, but with active volcanoes threatening to erupt and a monster moose next to the trail, he was really ready to go. As he boarded the helicopter, Joseph felt butterflies in his stomach. Soon he would meet Delta.
Joseph can hardly believe what he has been asked to do. His aunt Kate is waiting for him at a research station and needs help taking care of an orphan polar bear cub only a few months old. He will leave his friends and family and venture to the farthest northern town in the United States: Barrow, Alaska.
As the adventure unfolds, Joseph and his newfound Eskimo friend Ada find mysteries wherever they look. The bear cub, Delta, remains in danger. Who would want a polar bear dead? Joseph will have to look to the North Georgia woods and his family to save Delta.
When his parents were kids, they too embarked on an excursion into the unknown. Their encounters with the wilderness beyond their backyard have moldedthe future for Joseph and Delta. A PLACE FOR DELTA is about one family's journey--a passage born in the Appalachian Mountains and leading to the Arctic seas.
********************************
I like to think of myself as young at heart, but maybe not so much. At least not young enough to get as much as I'd have liked from A PLACE FOR DELTA. I really wanted to enjoy it, the premise was superb with the story of a little boy getting to go on the adventure of a lifetime: flying to Barrow, Alaska to help his aunt to care for an orphaned polar bear cub. There are mysteries to be had and as much as I love mysteries (and you know how much I dig mysteries), I could not get into the story.
I will pass this one on to my nephew who loves animals and loves mysteries almost as much as I do and he is actually young at heart since he's ten.
I received this from OnlinePublicist...
Three wish I were more young at heart beans......

No comments: