Summer

01 December 2009

DESOLATE ANGEL: A Dead Detective Mystery - Chaz McGee

From the back of the book: He was once a second-rate cop, a mediocre husband and an absent father. But ever since he was killed in a drug bust gone bad, Kevin Fahey's been a lost soul in limbo, searching for a way out of his solitude and hoping for redemption. Now he'll have to prove to be a better ghost than he ever was a man...

After I died, I wandered my town, unseen, alone, and wondering why I'd been sentenced to linger in this world. Then Alissa, the victim in a long-ago murder case I'd worked, came to me. She led me to a body sprawled in the weeds, and the terrible truth dawned on me: I'd let Alissa's real killer escape. I'd imprisoned an innocent man--and now another young girl was dead.
I know my redemption lies in righting this wrong. And the only way I can do that is to somehow forge a connection with my replacement on the force, Maggie Gunn. Now I'm haunted by the fear that dragging Maggie into this may turn out to be the biggest mistake of my afterlife....
*********************************
Because this was my purse book, it took me a little while to get into it and I wasn't sure I liked it in the very beginning. The main character, Kevin Fahey, was not a sympathetic character and the first few pages I managed to get through kind of moseyed along.
Then I found a chunk of time and the story grabbed ahold and hung on.
I liked watching Fahey become a better person as a ghost than he was a live being. He was able to move on do what he needed to help Maggie with her case. And Maggie, she grabbed the case like a bulldog and held on and shook it til it all fell into place.

The story is an appalling one that had me in tears at times and I was rigorously pleased with the outcomes to the bad and did the happy dance for the outcomes of the good guys.

I really look forward to the rest of the series as the books come out.

Four afterlife looks intriguing beans....




No comments: