Summer

19 July 2007

Okay, Enough of the Princess Merry and her court schtuff....

Okay, I believe I am done with the Meredith Gentry series. Rather than grab my attention with some conversation and character building, Ms Hamilton assumes I have already read the first two books in the series and jumps right in with the nekkid and hotties (possible name for new soap opera on CBS???). I love the Anita Blake series Laurell K Hamilton writes and the Meredith Gentry series started with good intentions, but it's devolved into all sex all the time. By no stretch of the imagination am I a prude, I love a good sex scene, but I was thrust (pardon the pun) immediately into two men and one woman naked and frolicking for the purpose of letting a helicoptored photographer take pictures. And that might work for other readers, but not what I had in mind when I started reading it last night.
I will continue to read the adventures of Anita Blake, vampire hunter and necromancer, but not Princess Meredith Gentry of the Unseelie Court of the Sidhe. Life is way too short and there are other books on Mt Git'r'Read.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about the Merry Gentry series. I read the first book and then quit.

Vickie said...

Alita: I am glad I am not the only one. It is almost how I am when I can read and enjoy JD Robb, but not Nora Roberts and they are the same person!!! I love reading of the adventures of Anita Blake, but Meredith Gentry is boring! Oh well...

Anonymous said...

I agree about JD Robb/Nora Roberts. I absolutely love the JD Robb books, but would't buy a used Nora Roberts!

Anonymous said...

Vickie--I didn't like how this one started (a bit obvious in my opinion, and did, as you suggest, assume that you'd just finished the previous book). But I do like the world she is creating. Fairies, etc., not being so darned cute and innocent. And complex relationships between "good" and "evil". And the whole exploration of the alternate reality, i.e., what would we do if fairies or magic were real? Orson Scott Car's Seventh Son series explores this as well. I kind of prefer his exploration but it takes place in the past (which is a bit of a cop-out.

Librarian40/erika.