Summer

26 December 2011

RAVEN BLACK: Shetland Island Quartet Book One - Ann Cleeves

From the back of the book: Winner of Britain’s coveted Duncan Lawrie Dagger Award, Ann Cleeves introduces a dazzling new suspense series to U.S. mystery readers.

Raven Black begins on New Year’s Eve with a lonely outcast named Magnus Tait, who stays home waiting for visitors who never come. But the next morning the body of a murdered teenage girl is discovered nearby, and suspicion falls on Magnus. Inspector Jimmy Perez enters an investigative maze that leads deeper into the past of the Shetland Islands than anyone wants to go.

*****************

I don't know what it is about mysteries set anywhere in England, Scotland, or Ireland, but they seem to be darker. Dark days, darker nights, dark personalities to decipher.


Inspector Jimmy Perez has a murder of a young girl to solve, one that has similar patterns to a girl who went missing years before. That one has gone unsolved, the girl still missing. The one tie is a solitary, slightly unhinged man. The girls were seen at Magnus' house before going missing.

There are side stories that intertwine throughout the book, lonely characters with dark secrets interacting bringing the book to a startling conclusion.


I really cannot wait to read the rest of the quartet. I have the second, WHITE NIGHTS, on the WWBL highlighted as a soonest get.


Visit Ann at: www.anncleeves.com


Five dark Shetland Isles beans......


4 comments:

Becky LeJeune said...

Oh, I have been waiting to see what you thought of this one. I've had it on the TBR for quite a while now.

Aurian said...

Hmm not sure this is for me. A bit too dark I think.

Thoughts of Joy said...

I thought this one was very good, as well. I'm looking forward to pulling White Nights off my shelf. I sense the darkness, just thinking about the book.

Vickie said...

Becky: Bump it up on the shelf, it's superb.

Aurian: It is indeed a bleak book, but such a fab thriller.

Joy: I may have added this to my shelf because of you. I am looking forward to the next one, once I am in the right mood. And I look forward to reading what you think of it.