Summer

28 July 2010

THE TAINTED RELIC: An Historical Mystery - Medieval Murderers, narr Stephen Thorne



From the back of the BOCD: THE TAINTED RELIC is five interlinked mysteries from some of the finest historical writers in the UK. Each brings his or her own characters t the tale, which spans over nine hundred years.

July 1100 and Jerusalem has fallen to the Crusader armies. Amid the ensuing chaos a priceless holy relic is entrusted to English knight Geoffrey Mappestone. But the relic is said to be cursed, bringing death and destruction to whoever possesses it. And down the ages the relic continues to wreak its havoc.

The Medieval Murderers are acclaimed authors Simon Beaufort, Philip Gooden, Susanna Gregory, Michael Jecks, Bernard Knight, and Ian Morson.

********************************
I listened to this at work and that might have been part of my not digging it as much as I could have. It took me a little while to get into the story and then to understand everything that was going on. I got that the relic was supposedly cursed and death followed in its wake. My issue was not following who was dying and it seemed like there were a lot of victims with each story. They died before I had a chance to know them or the people solving the crimes or the people doing the killing or even why the killing was occurring, except part of it was to get the relic back from whoever had it.
The only time I could truly understand the story was when it moved up to William Shakespeare's time. The story made me laugh and care about the characters.
All that said, I will be getting more of this series of books, especially KING ARTHUR'S BONES, the reason I started looking for this team of authors. I have a collection of Arthurian legend, saw this book in a review, put it on the WWBL and then found out there's a series of books by this team who call themselves Medieval Murderers. Very cool premise and still intriguing. I know not all books are for all people and I will likely get this as a handheld book to read and pay closer attention....and read it someplace without distractions..like work can be....silly work....
Three need fewer distractions beans....

No comments: