Summer

25 July 2010

INFINITE DAYS: Vampire Queen Book One - Rebecca Maizel

From the back of the book: After centuries of terrorizing Europe, Lena Beaudonte, with the the help of the handsome Rhode, has been able to realize the dream of all vampires--to be human again. Now, as a raven-haired, sixteen-year-old, Lenah believes her greatest challenge is fitting in at her new school. But the challenges have only begun. The vicious coven Lenah once ruled is threatening the new-found pleasures of her human life, including the one guy who makes her feel most alive, Justin. Can this ex-vamp survive in an alien time and place or will her past come back to haunt her...forever?
***********************************
What a lovely, dark, lush book this was to read. It would have found its way to Mt Git'r'Read even if I hadn't won it as an Early Reviewer from Library Thing.
There are two sides to Lenah Beaudonte, the vampire queen she was for 592 years..the very evil vampire queen...and the 16 year-old girl starting her life as a human at Wickham Boarding School. Maizel doesn't romanticize the past vampire Lenah. She rather matter-of-factly tells the story of Lenah's reign as a creator of her own coven of vampire men meeting her specific criteria to run rampant through the centuries feeding on the blood of humans.
This is interspersed with Lenah's present life. This is the part that I really enjoyed reading. Watching Lenah learn to be a human after almost 600 years, how to be a 16-year-old female in this modern time. Learning what pizza is, dancing to popular music, the feel of the ocean as she dives in, the feel of the sun on her skin, the texture of wood, the smell of paint on canvas as her friend Tony works on her portrait.
The romance of the story is bittersweet and reflects how young love can be when newly found. But it isn't filled with the angst that turned me off of the Twilight series.
This was a 'danger book' for me, the danger in that I did not want to put down...just one more page...oh..just one more chapter...I finished it quickly because of this 'danger'.
The buzz is out there, the buzz that makes people run out and buy this one when it comes out on 3 August.

Five listen to the buzz diamonds.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya gotta love a danger book!

Vickie said...

Mary: I do, I do, I do!! Way better than the ones you want to throw across the room. = )

Most of the books I read are good (at least to me), but there are those wonderful few that I can't wait to read more or stay up late or wake early or stay in the parking lot (for my audiobooks) to read more.

Becky LeJeune said...

Ooh, sounds fantastic!

Unknown said...

I love danger books! Love the idea of this one too..it's definitely going on my wish list now.

Vickie said...

Becky: It is SOOOO good!

Kris: It's a good one, hope you like it, too. Bet you will.