Summer

14 September 2008

TUNNELS - Brian Williams and Roderick Gordon, narr Steven Crossley

This is a decent enough story, especially for the YA book that it is. I enjoyed the beginning of it and then slowly became a little annoyed with the story. I did finish it, mostly because of the narrator Steven Crossley. He made the story more interesting with good characterization of voices. I could see the characters in my cranium because his wonderfully talented voice.
Will Burroughs and his father are diggers. They love to dig underground and take joy in all of the treasures they discover. One day they find a tunnel into something quite different. This also brings about the disappearance of Will's father, then Will and his friend Chester. There is a land under the ground, people live there in houses. Rules are different, I guess no natural light will do that for a civilization. Will discovers some surprising information about himself and makes his escape to the 'topsoil' as it's called by the underground dwellers. Life is not what it was and Chester didn't make it out, so Will goes back underground to rescue his friend.
This is obviously setting up for a series or trilogy, not sure yet if I will follow along or not.....
Three questioning beans....

2 comments:

Thoughts of Joy said...

Gotta love the cover, though. :)

Vickie said...

Joy: I really do! I did judge the choice on this for my nephew, knew he'd like it. Then I wanted to read it, because of the cover.