Summer

13 June 2008

THE SPELLMAN FILES - Lisa Lutz, narrator Christina Moore

Okie dokie, once THE SPELLMAN FILES got going, it was a wonderfully fun listen. The first part was a little ragged going for me with a lot of going back and forth in time sequence and a lot of mini chapters. Then it either settled down or I got used to the pattern, but I really enjoyed the story. The Spellmans are a family of private investigators and they don't just investigate for their clients, they investigate each other. That drove me nuts at various times during my listen, but I kept going and, again, got used to it.
Izzy Spellman is the middle child and has to put up with her perfect older brother who wants to be a lawyer instead of work in the family business. Then along comes Rae, the surprise baby sister. She is trying emulate Izzy and will do anything to be like her and keep Izzy from leaving the family business.
Izzy describes each guy she dates as Ex-boyfriend number (assign number here). She's pretty sure she's meant to be alone and away from the lawyers her mother sets her up with. Izzy would rather detect and she is like a dog with the proverbial bone.
Part of the charm was the narrator, Christina Moore. I love her voice when I listen to the Elm Creek Quilt series and she is perfectly gritty for this one.
Four beans!

4 comments:

Joy said...

So glad you liked this, too! I have it on my TBR list.

Vickie said...

Joy: I am looking forward to the further adventures and antics of the Spellman clan. You will like it, I bet.

Becky LeJeune said...

I am a big fan of the Spellman books. I can't wait until she has another one out!

Vickie said...

Becky: Cool! Good to know that the rest are super. Looking forward to them.