Summer

30 June 2008

LAST LESSONS OF SUMMER - Margaret Maron

This is one of the best books I've read in a long while. I have been a fan of Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott series, but hadn't read anything not of the series before. I gave myself the Summer Challenge to get me started on this one and so glad I did.
Now I posted above that this isn't part of the Deborah Knott series, but it does have a couple of recognizable characters, if you've read any of the series' books. Major Bryant and SBI Terry Wilson play fairly significant roles in the story.
This book starts in New York and moves to North Carolina. There is a questionable death of an old rich woman, the grandmother of the main character, Amy Steadman. Amy has come down to clear her grandmother's house before selling the land for a development project. Along the way she is also looking for answers to past mysteries....Why did her mother kill herself when Amy was only 3 years old? Why was her grandmother the standoffish person she was to all but a few? Who wanted her grandmother dead?
This a great character study as much as it is a well written mystery. Thank you Margaret Maron.
Five beans!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great review! I think I'll have to add this one to my "must read list". Thanks!

Vickie said...

Bobbi, Thank you. This book is super and a definite 'must read'.