Summer

24 November 2010

HUNGER GAMES: Book One Hunger Games Trilogy - Suzanne Collins, narr Carolyn McCormick

From the back of the BOCD: Made up of 12 districts, the futuristic North American nation Panem requires that one girl and boy from each district compete in the annual Hunger Games, a live fight to the death broadcast on television. When 16-year-old Katniss volunteers to take her sister's place in the Hunger Games , she'll have to kill or be killed.
********************************
I know there have to be thousands of reviews already out there, so I won't do much more than say how much I loved listening to this book. The narrator, Carolyn McCormick, is pitch perfect and enhanced my enjoyment of this story.

This could have been a stilted book, plenty of places for drama overload, but it stayed the course and was wonderfully told.

I had to sit in the car for a while this morning when one of my favorite characters died. Tears started welling up, then spilled over and I just couldn't stop. The imagery is so vivid.
I am so glad I have the next one, CATCHING FIRE, bumped up to the top of my Recorded Books wishlist.I really can't wait to find out what happens next to Katniss, Peetah, and everyone else in their village.


A HUGE bowl of postapocalyptic diamonds.....

6 comments:

Pam said...

Oh, glad you liked this! I loved all three. Hope you enjoy the others!

Bonnie said...

This is a powerful book and I can only imagine that listening to it may make the emotions more powerful. I actually liked the first book better than the second and haven't yet read Mockingjay. Hope that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!

Vickie said...

Pam: I loved this book. I can't get over how much it affected me. I know I will like the others as much.

Bonnie: Listening to this story was amazing. The narrator can make or break an audiobook, this one completely made it.

Thoughts of Joy said...

So glad you loved it, too! :) I haven't read the last one yet - still waiting to get it from the library.

Vickie said...

Joy: It was a lot better than I anticipated.

Becky LeJeune said...

I read this one just this week (and finished the second today). They're fantastic! My sister has the third and I have to wait until she's done. The suspense is going to kill me!