Summer

07 November 2006

3AM and I am Reading

Darkly Dreaming Dexter Jeff Lindsey is a well written book and the reader, or at least this one, feels for the serial killer. This is a difficult task for writer and for the reader without feeling guilty for feeling this way....how many times can I write feeling, feel, etc....
Dexter admits to being a sociopath and is content, as much as he can have this, with putting on a human mask and working with feeling humans. His need to kill has been channeled in a productive way and I think this is how we are allowed to be okay with his habits.
To offset this book, I am not reading anything of the cozy ilk. I am reading three fairly disturbing books at the same time. I usually try to balance them against the other, something light, something disturbing and one sort of tie-breaker. Right now I have Batya Gur Bethlehem Road Murder as bedside book, Darkly Dreaming Dexter Jeff Lindsey as my purse book and Aftermath Peter Robinson as my audiobook in the car. All disturbing in their own way, DDD is actually the lightest of the three with comic relief bits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think one of the things that makes Dexter so likeable is the humor - albeit dark humor, but an intelligent and sharp wit.

I just knew you'd like this one!