Summer

14 July 2007

Dammit...lost a post!!! I finished Three Books This Week

ARGH!!!! I accidentally wiped my post!
I finished three books this week, one of them (best of the three) just a few minutes ago. I finished Betrayal at Cross Creek: An American Girl History Mystery Kathleen Ernst. It was a nice short three tape story and it was a very interesting tale. I also finished Murder of a Barbie and Ken: A Scumble River Mystery Denise Swanson. Another good story and a very good addition to this cozy series. This will be making its way a friend in DesMoines IA next week. The book I finished a few minutes ago is the best of the bunch, The Hundredth Man Jack Kerley. Wowzah!! This was a super fast, intense, interesting read. I will get everything Jack Kerley writes and is made available.

I am now listening to Bubbles Betrothed Sarah Strohmeyer in the car. Just love this series. Bubbles is my kinda dame, brave and a fearless fashion statement maker. Takes not much in the way of crapola. My next purse book, bought yesterday morning, Already Dead Charlie Huston. This one will qualify for Summer Mystery Challenge as new to me author of mysteries. Review:
The vampire mythos gets a healthy dose of attitude à la Raymond Chandler in Charlie Huston's singularly cool Already Dead, a savage and sardonic novel that blends blood-sucking fantasy and horror elements with the hard-boiled style of noir thrillers.Joe Pitt is a vampyre living in post-9/11 New York City. On an island ruled by all-powerful and very politically diverse vampyre clans -- the Coalition, the Society, the Enclave, et al. -- Pitt is a loner, surviving by doing various odd jobs for clan bosses. When he becomes indebted to the Coalition and is strong-armed into finding the runaway daughter of a biotech magnate, the undead amateur detective begins a treacherous mission that will lead him through the dark underbelly of Manhattan and pit him against brain-eating zombies, drug-addicted squatters, warring vampyre factions, and his most base desire: the need to feed. Huston, who has already wowed mystery and mainstream fiction readers with his breakout novels, Caught Stealing and Six Bad Things (down-and-dirty suspense thrillers featuring ill-fated bartender-turned-outlaw Henry "Hank" Thompson), is primed to blow the socks off of yet another genre audience with Already Dead, a novel that introduces a rousing new twist on one of literature's oldest and most popular myths. Simply put, this is an absolute must-read for dark fantasy, horror, and mystery aficionados, as well as mainstream fiction fans looking for something a little off the beaten path. All categorization aside, Huston's genre-transcending, pedal-to-the-metal novel is a thrill ride of the highest order -- gloriously nasty!

4 comments:

SuziQoregon said...

I just KNEW you'd be a Jack Kerley fan :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, I'll have to add Already Dead to my reading list. It sounds very interesting.

Hope you have a good week.

I "swapped" for two of the Jack Kerley books at paperbackswap. Hopefully they will come in sometime this week.

Vickie said...

Suzi: I am now a HUGE Jack Kerley fan!!!! Thank you for turning me onto him!!!

Alita: I will get back to Already Dead in a few days. I decided against taking it with on our little vacation. Let me know if you want me to send Already Dead your way when I finish.

You will totally dig Jack Kerley!!!

Vickie said...

Lynne: Now send me your snail mail address and I will send you 'The Hundredth Man'.