Summer

15 June 2009

BOOTLEGGER'S DAUGHTER - Margaret Maron, narr CJ Critt

I read this first in the Deborah Knott series a while back. It must have been a long while back as it was practically like a brand new book for me! It could be that I am getting older and I've pushed some knowledge and memories out to make room for new schtuff....nah...I read it a really really long time ago.....
Deborah Knott is a lawyer in Colleton County, North Carolina and is running for district court judge after a run in with a definite justice is not blind judge. She has one or two things going against her: her daddy was a reknowned bootlegger back in the day and Deborah has been asked by 18 year old Gayle Whitehead to investigate the unsolved murder of her mother, Janie, when Gayle was 3 months old.
The judgeshop campaign and the investigation all snarl up to cause Deborah headaches and trouble, but she perseveres.
My favorite of the series, this one introduces the colorful (but not overdonely so) (is so a word!) characters and family members. I'd love to see Maron's charts for keeping each brother and their families straight. They do come to life while reading or listening to the story.
Five Southern comfort beans.....



4 comments:

Thoughts of Joy said...

"Five southern comfort beans" - Woo! I have this on my TBR Shelf, but unfortunately it's not even near the TBR Pile. I'm so glad to see those 5 beans, though. They are an encouragement. :)

Vickie said...

Joy: This is such a good series and this one is my favorite. I think you will like it.

maggie moran said...

Sounds good! I've never read good ole Margaret b/c her name is so close to mine and if I write about her peeps might think me boasting! Bah!!! :D

'Bout time to get over that!

One down and two to go!

Vickie said...

Maggie: = D