Summer

28 August 2010

BURY YOUR DEAD: Chief Inspector Gamache Novel #6 - Louise Penny


From the back of the ARC: In BURY YOUR DEAD, Penny peers deeper into the psyche of her beloved Inspector Armand Gamache, unveiling a broken man coming to terms with his buried grief and guilt.
It is Carnaval in Quebec City and Gamache has come not to join the celebration but to recover from an investigation gone wrong. But death is inescapable, even in the sanctuary of the Literary and Historical Society--where an obsessive historian's quest for the remains of the founder of Quebec, Samuel de Champlain, ends in murder. Could a secret buried for nearly 400 years be so dreadful that someone would kill to protect it?
*************************************
Chief Inspector Armand Gamache is recovering. The reader finds out in slow bits from what he is recovering. One of his agents, Jean Guy Beauvoir, is also recovering from the same event. Both are involved in solving a murder. The investigations are low profile for both agents. Each is an investigation into the past as well as the present.
It took me a bit to get into the story, partly because it takes place in Quebec, an area and history I know little to nothing about. I decided to sit back and read this like I read and enjoy my British suspense and thrillers. It worked and I found myself staying up later and later to read a few more pages.
This was my first experience with this series and it will definitely not be the last. This is a gorgeously written suspense. I was pleased to get this from LibraryThing this month. I have read plenty of wonderful reviews and I have STILL LIFE, the very first Chief Inspector Gamache novel, on Mt Git'r'Read. It's getting moved to the top of the stack when I am ready to read another superbly written, highly suspenseful, wonderfully written charactered novel. I need a rest after this one, something light, like a sorbet something light.
Five gorgeously suspenseful beans......

4 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Glad it was a good read. Cathy at Kittling: Books has a post today about settings and she lists this author.

Vickie said...

Mary: It was truly an amazing read. I am glad I received it and glad I kept reading. I will be getting the rest of this series.

Thoughts of Joy said...

So glad to read that you loved your first dip into this series. I love Louise Penny's writing, but the topic of Champlain didn't interest me in this one. I loved everything else about it though. Enjoy your travel back to the beginning with #1! You're going to love them.

Vickie said...

Joy: The Champlain stuff put me off in the beginning of the book. I had a hard time getting into the book, then it settled down...likely when Three Pines part started. I'm really looking forward to STILL LIFE.