Summer

05 November 2010

ONE BAD APPLE: An Orchard Mystery #1 - Sheila Connelly

From the back of the book: An apple a day keeps he corpses away....
When Meg Corey unexpectedly finds herself out of a job, an apartment, and a relationship, she seizes the opportunity to renovate teh Massachusetts colonial house her mother has inherited from distant relations and to sell it quickly for a share of the profits. But Meg gets more than she bargained for when she learns that renovating a two-hundred-year-old house is no easy task and that the gorgeous fifteen acre apple orchard on the property is in danger of being paved over by developers. And she definitely isn't expecting to run into her ex-boyfriend....floating dead in her new septic tank.
The police immediately suspect Meg, whose only ally is th charming local plumber who found the body. Determined to clear her name---while fighting her growing attachment to the troublesome house and orchard----Meg begins to investigate the crime and the townspeople only to find there's one bad apple in this bunch.....
*****************************************
There is something about a cozy set in New England. It seems perfect to me...or it's maybe too much Murder, She Wrote....nahhh....it's a perfect setting for a cozy. Crisp weather and apple orchards, gazillion year old colonial houses and hard to get to know towns peeps.
Meg is handed an opportunity she can't refuse, taking on a partnership with her mother on the house Mom has inherited. How long can it take, slap a little paint on it and clean it up and flip that puppy.
Yeah, not so much....plumbing is shot..but that brings in the yummy plumber, Seth. He becomes her first friend and helps her work on the mystery of who dumped the dead ex in the new septic tank (as ick goes...*shudder*...excellent touch Sheila).
I am looking forward to more Meg and Seth, more small town, another mystery and some yummy apple recipes like the ones in the back of this book.
Five give me some HoneyCrisp and Pink Lady beans......

6 comments:

Aurian said...

Haven't read this author yet, but it sounds like a good read. Will definitely put her on the list.

Sherri said...

Haven't read this author yet either, but I love cozies!! Thanks for the review! Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read anything by this author either but I sure do love cozies!Thank you for the review.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

This sounds like an adorable cozy. Adding it to my list.

WonderBunny said...

I've enjoyed the two books in this series I've read. I'm looking forward to finding time to read the third...sometime.

Vickie said...

WonderBunny: I have the second one ready to go. I am going to break my ROE and break it out this month.

Mary: It's a fun one, I think you'll like it.

Anonymous: Huge cozy fan here, too.

Sherri: It's a fun one, I think you will like it.


Aurian: I hope you like it, too.