Summer

04 June 2009

THE LITTLE SLEEP - Paul Tremblay

I stayed up late (for me) last night so I could finish this book. It's a lot like drinking coffee, a lotta lotta coffee, reading this book. It kind of made me jittery and wide awake. Now why would I read a book at bedtime that would do this? I get more time with books at bedtime, whether going to sleep (or trying to) or reading myself awake. And I wanted time with this one. Becky over at NoMoreGrumpyBookseller reviewed this a while back and it immediately got my attention, made my Wanton Wantin' List and pretty much just as soon went on my order to Cynthia at High Crimes Mystery Bookshop. It arrived in a timely fashion and it sat on the nightstand for a bit. I wanted to be in just the right mood for this funny, dry, suspenseful....
...I hit the right mood and I began the mystery solving with Mark Genevich, narcoleptic PI. Mark was in an car accident and has lived with his narcolepsy, falling asleep at inopportune times, somnabulism (sleepwalking), hallucinations, etc. One of these hallucinations has him taking the case of American Star contestant, Jennifer Times. She is being blackmailed over some photos.
The case takes some highly aberrant twists and turns. The original case fantails into another and Mark finds himself in rather tenuous waters and in danger of losing his life....
Four caffeinated to the nth beans......

5 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Good review, Vickie, glad you enjoyed it! Love the name of your wish list :)

Vickie said...

Mary: Thankin' you. = D

Becky LeJeune said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it -- now get some sleep before the next one!

Vickie said...

Becky: = D

Jess said...

This is on my TBR list -- glad you enjoyed it!