Summer

16 April 2008

YARN HARLOT: THE SECRET LIFE OF A KNITTER - Stephanie Pearl - McPhee


From B&N: Over 50 million people in America knit. The average knitter spends between $500 and $1,700 a year on yarn, patterns, needles, and books. No longer just a fad or a hobby, knitting has advanced to a lifestyle.
Lessen the numbers on how many do so, this very funny warm book could easily be titled THE BOOK HARLOT, I swear upon my oath as a standing member of BA (Bookaholics Anonymous....Hi, my name is Vickie and I am a bookaholic...HI VICKIE)
The wonderful thing about this book is it's theoretically for knitters, or Knitters as Stephanie names it, but it's for anyone who can identify with any obsession they might have. I love Stephanie's long suffering family, the husband who finds her yarn stash in the sleeve of his jacket, the daughters who don't want to learn to knit much to the extreme amazement of their mother.
My favorite is the chapter Parents and Knitters: The Top Ten Ways Why Being a Parent Is Like Being a Knitter. #3 is great: Both knitting and parenting are more pleasant if you have the occasional glass of wine, but go right down the drain if you start up with a lot of tequila or shooters.
I highly recommend this very funny and fast moving book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I work for www.shopyarn.com. Part of my job is to search blogs to find the latest books and shops throughout the U.S.

On shopyarn.com we are going to add patterns and other knitting related books and would like reviews about them. I saw your blog and would like to ask permission to feature the following quote on our site.

"The wonderful thing about this book is it's theoretically for knitters, or Knitters as Stephanie names it, but it's for anyone who can identify with any obsession they might have. I love Stephanie's long suffering family, the husband who finds her yarn stash in the sleeve of his jacket, the daughters who don't want to learn to knit much to the extreme amazement of their mother. I highly recommend this very funny and fast moving book."


Thank You,
Margaret
Shopyarn.com
Margaret@directionpress.com